• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Stupid phrases or sayings

Celtic_Emperor

3rd Level White Feather
Yeah, I was thinking about how we, as a culture, have sayings and phrases that are often misused or overused to a point where they lose their meaning and become idiotic things to say.

ITT, we list our personal top offenders with a discription of why it makes no sense to us or why its irritating. I'll start us off.

1.) "With all due respect..."

Now, if you know the person, or know their reputation, then the situation may make this a valid phrase or saying. However, when used casually with aquiantances or strangers it makes no sense. Even I have sometimes fallen into this trap because its such a casual thing to say these days in our PC world (Politically Correct), and it irritated me afterwards. I felt dirty and I had to take a shower, place all pictures of family members facing down, and then an hour of bitter weeping in a dark corner. 😛

First off, how do you know that the respect is due if you do not know the person? Often people will say, when they feel they've offended someone "with all due respect" and then they continue to make their point. If this isn't a person you regularly converse with, you have no facts or opinions about them with which to base respect on, let alone feeling it is due. You're then proceeding to argue with them, which may not be respectful at all...another contradiction.

So, why do people constantly use this phrase when it would not apply? Are they really that apologetic, or are they just not thinking? People shouldn't use this phrase to apologize to someone who doesn't deserve it, and they certainly shouldn't say it when they don't sincerely mean it. They also cannot say it and have it really mean anything if they don't know the person and they shouldn't assume the person deserves it either.

So yes, this is my number #1 phrase (for now anyways, please do try and top it....if you can or I'm impressed with yours, you may be the lucky recepient of a vote of confidence and approval from my business manager (in the attachment). 😛aw: 😀

Attachments

• Approved.JPG
    Approved.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
You actually just reminded me of one! The terms PC and "political correctness" outlived their usefulness about ten or twelve years ago, their definitional edges having dribbled and seeped until the phrases have lost nearly any functional meaning (and they didn't have that much to begin with). Some people use the terms to castigate thought police on the left, some use them to castigate thought police on the right, some use them to describe prudes, some to describe certain political sacred cows, some to signal an impatience with excessive politeness, and so on. Mostly, nowadays as ever, all "PC" really means is "people with whom I disagree."

I say this of course with all due respect.

I say this of course with all due respect.

LOL! Good one. Sir, you are a winner, just because I wasn't expecting a play on my words so soon or at all! Your messege has been APPROVED! Be proud and happy this day, for you have done good! 😛aw:

Attachments

• Approved.JPG
    Approved.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 6
That depends of your perspective or point of view. I've used that phrase with some customers or companies owners, meaning that the next sentence(s) is not oriented to offend them, but to grab their attention, in order to make them meditate about some issue.

That depends of your perspective or point of view. I've used that phrase with some customers or companies owners, meaning that the next sentence(s) is not oriented to offend them, but to grab their attention, in order to make them meditate about some issue.

Thats fine. Your example is an example of how it could be/would be used properly. You may not know the individuals in the company, but you may know the reputation and status of the company itself, which could be a reason to use the phrase. It may also be important for business, to seal or broker a deal. It shows your company's etiquette, through you, as a representative of that company.

In a non-personal talk with people who don't know eachother and stand to gain very little or nothing from the conversation, it makes less sense.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I believe that some people (specially youngest), use some phrases "copied" from someone else, because they respect those persons and after they use those phrases frequently, not with bad intentions, but because they believe that is correct to use them.

I have a phrase I really despise.

"Have a good one".

When did a incomplete thought replaced "goodbye" or "good day". Have we become so lazy we can't even finish simple phrases? I mean who the hell coined this phrase in the first place? I want to beat the living f*** out of him.

It always bothers me because it could mean just about anything. "Have a good one". One what? one pie, one life, one fuck, one hangover? At least if you hear good day...you don't have to guess what they mean. TELL ME SOMETHING YOU LAZY HACKS!!!

"I support _______."
"I think you'd like it." (Translation: "I like it.")

People need to stop using the word emo. Its stupid. Emo was music 10 years ago. I think people should abandon the word emo and call todays music what it realy is, puss-rock.:super_hap

"With all due respect..."
Now, if you know the person, or know their reputation, then the situation may make this a valid phrase or saying

I agree mucho with cosquillero 🙂 he surely knows how to please people ^^

From my point of view i don't mind saying it to someone who i don't know, just because for example of their age ( older than me !! 🙂) or whatever else ... it's just sympathy in my opinion, but one case beats them all !!!!

GIRLS !! we have to respect them

otherwise

they

wouldn't

to

be

tickled 🙁

"I'm not racist, but..."

I go to a university which at least seems to have a large black minority. I hear this one all the bloody time. I personally think it's worse than 'with all due respect,' simply because it can be used properly at the right times. 'I'm not racist, but...' is always followed by a racist comment, just trying to save their ass from being seen as racist. In my eyes, hearing those opening four words confirms it before they say anything else.

From my point of view i don't mind saying it to someone who i don't know, just because for example of their age ( older than me !! 🙂) or whatever else ... it's just sympathy in my opinion, but one case beats them all !!!!

GIRLS !! we have to respect them

otherwise

they

wouldn't

to

be

tickled 🙁

Thank you alf, i wouldn't expect less from a great guy like you 🙂.

"I'm not racist, but..."

I go to a university which at least seems to have a large black minority. I hear this one all the bloody time. I personally think it's worse than 'with all due respect,' simply because it can be used properly at the right times. 'I'm not racist, but...' is always followed by a racist comment, just trying to save their ass from being seen as racist. In my eyes, hearing those opening four words confirms it before they say anything else.

I know exactly where your coming from. I hear it all the time from my family. I hate it even worse when they say "I'm not racist, but..." and somewhere along the line they use the "N" word.

this is a good topic. the hollywood brother can like totally dig the vibe that this thread has.

I concur with all the aforementioned phrases and I add one that I do not particularly hate but I hate the fact that everyone says it in general but no one says it when the listener needs/wants to hear it the most. My thought is that if people said this phrase more often so that the listener hears it when they need to the most, then perhaps this world could become more kind and good-natured.

The phrase is THANK YOU.

I concur with all the aforementioned phrases and I add one that I do not particularly hate but I hate the fact that everyone says it in general but no one says it when the listener needs/wants to hear it the most. My thought is that if people said this phrase more often so that the listener hears it when they need to the most, then perhaps this world could become more kind and good-natured.

The phrase is THANK YOU.
That is a good example, there are several words/phrases that not too much people use such as : Thank you or thanks, please, forgive me, i'm sorry and so on.

"I'm not racist, but..."

I've been guilty of saying that line on several occasions, but it really was legitimate to say it in the context that I did at the time. Unfortunately, part of using the phrase means that it will almost automatically appear as though using the phrase to begin with infers some sort of racism on your part.

I think the words which follow the phrase determine more about the intent than the phrase itself. For instance, I might point out something racially sensitive or uncomfortable, but it itself is not personally racist of me, though it may be interpreted as offensive. To make my intent clear I would say "I'm not racist". Notice I left out the "but" there. Using the word but infers you will say something that will superficially at least, contradict what you are about to say. I avoid using the phrase unless I'm a pool with sharks where it doesn't matter what I say, they're smelling that blood.

In any case, you're right, and it is the way you say it is a majority of the time in that people are just looking to cover their asses and really are racists themselves. I think using the phrase for the right reasons and its legitimately used is fine, especially in a debate where people are looking for things to fry you on and careful wording is essential to cover your points effectively.

I do believe you've topped my phrase, sir. Congradulations! Your messege has been APPROVED!

Attachments

• Approved.JPG
    Approved.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Also, people, I just want to make it clear so theres no misunderstanding, this thread is for you to list your top sayings and/or phrases. This means no single words. They need to be sayings and/or phrases. Like "man cannot live by bread alone". Thats a saying and a phrase (as well as a proverb).

The reason I want it this way is to keep this thread on topic and so that it challenges folks to think of phrases (new and old). Thanks. 🙂

Last edited:

I agree with Vlad. It's not the fact that one is offering respect that is annoying, it's the fact that one feels the need to preface a direct insult or a frank, not-very-respectful revelation with the obvious lie of "with all due respect..." If you're condescending to me, the fact that you say that first doesn't make it somehow respectful.

"With all due respect, I don't think you know what you're talking about," etc.

well i prefer to say this instead of insulting someone i am talking to 🙂

I agree with Vlad. It's not the fact that one is offering respect that is annoying, it's the fact that one feels the need to preface a direct insult or a frank, not-very-respectful revelation with the obvious lie of "with all due respect..." If you're condescending to me, the fact that you say that first doesn't make it somehow respectful.

"With all due respect, I don't think you know what you're talking about," etc.
In this case almost any word/phrase apply too. Someone can say : "Thanks dumb", or "see you later fool". All depends over context, if you use a respectful word/phrase followed of an insult or degrading word/phrase, then that is a sarcastic sentence.

I just thunked.

"Love, your secret admirer"

I think that's just one step closer to saying, "I'm stalking you".

Here's one I find stupid . . .

'Goes without saying"

Thats another good one. First off, its a presumptious phrase to say in all but the most certain situations. Second, you're assuming that it may be common knowledge simply because you're at least aware of it. It doesn't necessarily take into account anyone else's knowledge or ignorance. Third, if it goes without saying, why the need to say it? Its sort of an oxymoron.

What's New

9/18/2024
If you need to report a post, the report button is on the lower left of it.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back