• If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Science and Religion

No, the Bible was compiled into its current form that many years ago. The texts themselves are far older.

You are correct. Semantics, though. It's a shame that's the only thing you're correct about.

There are two very good answers to this: one, no, and you don't understand the concept of omnipotence because it's not important to God to do such a thing. The purpose of power is to accomplish the tasks you set out to.

You got that backwards, chief. Omnipotence means "unlimited power" which is a logical fallacy. There is no "purpose" to power besides what we personally ascribe.

The other answer is yes, because Jesus was both truly God and truly human. Being truly human, there were rocks that he couldn't lift, but being truly God, he created those rocks.

:lol Even more nonsensical babble. Not only that, but unproven nonsensical babble.

It's the only HUMANLY logical demand. Free will is because He wanted us to love Him back. What good is the love if they have no option not to love you? Unfortunately, some have chosen not to love Him back. Re burning in Hell: as I said in an earlier post, that's when God lets you have your way. You want to be apart from Him. Okay, you can be without Him for eternity. The torment is just the very nature of separation from God.

Do you not know how ludicrous you sound? Statements like that only underscore how, in truth, religion is the lion, and science is the gazelle. My current signature could not be more apt: Science flies you to the moon, and religion flies you into buildings. Religion adds no tangible benefits to the world, and only takes. So not only is it like a lion, but it's also a parasite.

Ultimately, I must conclude that your understanding of YHWH is fundamentally flawed.

That's because I practice something called "critical thinking". You should try it sometime, it will expand your horizons infinitely beyond the scope of that limiting, poisonous nonsense people refer to as "faith".

Answer how? Christians believe we'll get that answer when either we die, or Jesus returns. Except that won't be "scientific evidence", it will be "historical evidence." Science can't prove whether or not a specific person ran a stop sign (or light) and a particular intersection last night. It can prove that a car and a driver behind it can do such a thing, but not that it happened THEN and THERE. However, eyewitnesses can corroborate that such an event occurred.

No disputing that, except that the scientific community is not the only community worth belonging to. There are times when the scientific explanation is the most important one needed, and times when it is not.

The same thing has been said since the foundings of Christianity. That it would all be extinguished. I don't think science will know exactly how everything happened, because it often causes more questions than it answers. We'll never run out of questions. Christianity has evolved a lot over the years, and will continue to exist. It's not going away.

No, God created us, not the other way around. Science will never have all the answers because it answers to God.

Alright. I'm going to end this with one simple sentence that cannot be disputed. Christianity is founded on faith, and faith alone; there is not a shred of scientific evidence to support any one aspect of that religion.

If you want to be religious, that's fine. Be religious. Just know that religion has never once contributed to humanity in any tangible form. I choose to look at things from a scientific perspective because science is the thing that keeps society moving forward. Science is the reason we went to the moon; not religion. Science is the reason we live longer; not religion. Science is the reason our lives have gotten so much easier over the past thousand years; not religion.

You got that backwards, chief. Omnipotence means "unlimited power" which is a logical fallacy. There is no "purpose" to power besides what we personally ascribe.
But as you are not the one with the power, it's not up to you to ascribe the purpose.

:lol Even more nonsensical babble. Not only that, but unproven nonsensical babble.
You wanted to know how a Christian would answer that question, and that is an excellent one, not only because it satisfies the conditions of the question itself, but also has Biblical backing in the first few verses of the Book of John.

Do you not know how ludicrous you sound? Statements like that only underscore how, in truth, religion is the lion, and science is the gazelle. My current signature could not be more apt: Science flies you to the moon, and religion flies you into buildings. Religion adds no tangible benefits to the world, and only takes. So not only is it like a lion, but it's also a parasite.
There is nothing ludicrous about it. To live in creation is to live in the realm of God. To reject God is to state the desire to be without Him, which must also include the bounty that He provided in creation. Separation from him is just by its nature anguish. No tangible benefits? Hello.... charities? Yes there are non-religious charities, but the religious ones far outnumber them, and they are there because of the exercise of faith. Did Mother Teresa really provide no tangible benefit to the world? Does the Salvation Army really provide no tangible benefit to the world? Do you realize how ludicrous YOU sound when you say that?

That's because I practice something called "critical thinking". You should try it sometime, it will expand your horizons infinitely beyond the scope of that limiting, poisonous nonsense people refer to as "faith".
Resorting now to personal attacks? Well, at least by your own admission you are a troll at times. And faith is nowhere near as poisonous as postmodern nihilism. But if I were to be thinking critically, I would be critical of the fact that evolution doesn't yet have all the answers, and say that that creates room for God to exist. And to say that science will know all one day is ironically, also a statement of faith.

Last edited:
If you want to be religious, that's fine. Be religious. Just know that religion has never once contributed to humanity in any tangible form.

See again: Mother Teresa, the Salvation Army, CRWRC and charities all around the world that are faith-based initiatives. And those things can be measured by the money they collect and spend on helping to alleviate suffering, by the number of children cared for, by the number of toys given out each year.

See again: Mother Teresa, the Salvation Army, CRWRC and charities all around the world that are faith-based initiatives. And those things can be measured by the money they collect and spend on helping to alleviate suffering, by the number of children cared for, by the number of toys given out each year.

What do charities have anything to do with the worship of a deity?

You don't have to be religious to start a charity. I fail to see how that's exclusive to religion.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

Name one thing that a religious person can contribute to humanity that a non-religious person cannot.

But as you are not the one with the power, it's not up to you to ascribe the purpose.

You wanted to know how a Christian would answer that question, and that is an excellent one, not only because it satisfies the conditions of the question itself, but also has Biblical backing in the first few verses of the Book of John.

There is nothing ludicrous about it. To live in creation is to live in the realm of God. To reject God is to state the desire to be without Him, which must also include the bounty that He provided in creation. Separation from him is just by its nature anguish. No tangible benefits? Hello.... charities? Yes there are non-religious charities, but the religious ones far outnumber them, and they are there because of the exercise of faith. Did Mother Teresa really provide no tangible benefit to the world? Does the Salvation Army really provide no tangible benefit to the world? Do you realize how ludicrous YOU sound when you say that?

Resorting now to personal attacks? Well, at least by your own admission you are a troll at times. And faith is nowhere near as poisonous as postmodern nihilism.

First, I'll apologize for the perceived personal attack. I have a short fuse when it comes to things that I perceive as poisonous to knowledge, like asserting "the mechanics of something is irrelevant". It really irritates me, and makes me feel that you have no appreciation for all of the splendors that science has brought us.

Second, I am a scientist. I subscribe to the null hypothesis, which states: there is no relationship between phenomena until proven. As far as I'm aware, nobody on the planet Earth has demonstrated that a god or gods exist. Until it is done so, you cannot expect me to take you seriously when you say god created the Earth, loves me, and was once a human named Jesus. It's 100% speculation, which invalidates the so-called "satisfaction" of my conditions. Logic alone dictates those conditions cannot be satisfied. The question was designed as such to underline the absurdity of a claim like "omnipotence".

Third: as far as those tangible benefits go those are not things atheists could not do. You've said so yourself, so we'll move on to the part about nihilism. Nihilism is the philosophical belief that all values are baseless and cannot be expressed. Surely, you cannot think I subscribe to such an idea, because I fully support and contribute to (admittedly in a small way, I am still a student) to the growing body of knowledge that is science. The only logical conclusion an outsider could make is that I value learning, growth, and want to see humanity thrive. Atheism ≠ Nihilism.

So, with all of this said, let us not bicker back and forth like idiot children because we know nothing will be solved by this. I am going to posit a simple challenge to you, and anybody else that believes religion is a force for "good" in the world.

The challenge is: can you cite an example of a tangible benefit (that does not violate the null hypothesis) that your religion brings to the human species, that no atheist can perform?

Please do yourself a favor and think of that carefully before accepting. 😉

First, I'll apologize for the perceived personal attack. I have a short fuse when it comes to things that I perceive as poisonous to knowledge, like asserting "the mechanics of something is irrelevant". It really irritates me, and makes me feel that you have no appreciation for all of the splendors that science has brought us.
Having just been out in the snow, I'm actually rather grateful for the technological advancement that is the snow shovel. But when I said that, I was referring to that specific instance. It probably didn't matter much how God was going to flood the earth; it simply mattered MORE to be atop of all that water rather than under it, and that's why no explanation was given.

Second, I am a scientist. I subscribe to the null hypothesis, which states: there is no relationship between phenomena until proven. As far as I'm aware, nobody on the planet Earth has demonstrated that a god or gods exist. Until it is done so, you cannot expect me to take you seriously when you say god created the Earth, loves me, and was once a human named Jesus. It's 100% speculation, which invalidates the so-called "satisfaction" of my conditions. Logic alone dictates those conditions cannot be satisfied. The question was designed as such to underline the absurdity of a claim like "omnipotence".
Fine, but when you pose such a question, you cannot expect a Christian to not use words of faith and theology to answer it, as you are directly challenging the believer's faith to justify such a notion. Unfortunately, a lot of what you're asking for is also impossible as it relies on historical evidence, which is conditional to a fixed place in geography and history, and not necessarily reproduceable (word?) scientifically. Even well documented events are merely historical evidence, as the claim of intentional fictionalization could abound (e.g. lunar landing, 1969).

Third: as far as those tangible benefits go those are not things atheists could not do. You've said so yourself, so we'll move on to the part about nihilism. Nihilism is the philosophical belief that all values are baseless and cannot be expressed. Surely, you cannot think I subscribe to such an idea,
Hey now, don't call me Shirley.

because I fully support and contribute to (admittedly in a small way, I am still a student) to the growing body of knowledge that is science. The only logical conclusion an outsider could make is that I value learning, growth, and want to see humanity thrive. Atheism ≠ Nihilism.
Fair enough, but sciencism (the kind of atheism that when practiced intentionally provokes religion with demands of subjugation to science, ironically deifying science) taken to its extreme is somewhat nihilistic, for it basically establishes that there is no meaning of life, only mere procreation and propogation of the species, latently stating that all other values are baseless... and even that is somewhat contradictory because it does set up pro/pro as the meaning of life; just as I find postmodernistic thought contradictory for the statement "there are no absolutes" is kind of an absolute in itself. I am, however, vaguely familiar with Sam Harris' postulation of science as the basis of morality, but found it to be rather circular, since science itself makes no claim for anything to be a desirable outcome, only the value that we place on an outcome, which implies a moral basis in a very simplistic way of establishing a goal as being "good".

So, with all of this said, let us not bicker back and forth like idiot children because we know nothing will be solved by this. I am going to posit a simple challenge to you, and anybody else that believes religion is a force for "good" in the world.

The challenge is: can you cite an example of a tangible benefit (that does not violate the null hypothesis) that your religion brings to the human species, that no atheist can perform?

Please do yourself a favor and think of that carefully before accepting. 😉

I would challenge the very premise of the question itself.

For starters, who gets to define "tangible benefit"? Even atheist friends of mine would consider the art found in the Psalms as a "tangible benefit" as they are very poetic, and that artistic contribution as a benefit to society. From there, you can pretty much argue that only a religious person could create that work of art. So you might have an answer there if the artworks of Christians were to be considered as "tangible benefits."

Second, you're demanding that we play by your rules, i.e. "(that does not violate the null hypothesis)", for someone of religion will not place that level of priority on that hypothesis and may even find it as a hinderance towards the definition of "benefit" itself--in other words, who's going to play the game if they don't think the rules are fair?

Third, it discounts the work that has been done with an "infiniite possibilities" theory, and I find this to be incredibly important for a reason I will get into later. But only a Christian could have started the Salvation Army, or else it probably wouldn't be called "The Salvation Army". It might be a similar cause with a different name, but it wouldn't "The Salvation Army," which was begun and continues to be driven by the Christian morality--in short, "could have been" is nowhere near as important, imo, as "was", or in the case of your question, "can" not as important as "does". You cannot nullify what a Christian "does" out of his faith just because an atheist "can" also do for any other reason.

Fourth, the answer would just as likely be the same if it were reversed. Has atheism given any tangible benefit that could not have been done by Christians? And the answer to that at best is, "I don't know." If you're talking tangible, physical things, it's just as possible that a Christian could have invented the microwave or chemotherapy as an atheist. Using Mendel as a precedent, I would say that quantum physics advancements could just as easily come from a religious person as an atheist, since curiosity of the universe falls to all alike. You could argue that it's possible Darwin could have looked at his theories of evolution as God creating something, then tweaking it slightly to make something new, then THAT gets tweaked for something else to result... and Him not allowing the night to fall upon that "day" for what would constitute billions of our years. It didn't happen that way of course, but it COULD have.

Fifth, you cannot strip away the benefits that were given by religious people by claiming it could have been done by an atheist (with an "infinite possibilities" argument), and then condemn them for the atrocities that were committed in the name of religion, while ignoring it could have been committed by atheists (under the same "infinite possibilities" argument). You could make the Crusades a matter of "Hatfields vs. McCoys", and that it was really more about land, and less about the religion. Just as Mao or Stalin could have "easily" been religious, so too could the Crusades just as "easily" been non-religious in nature.... by which I mean, that much death and destruction could have been wrought at the hands of religious and atheists folks alike. Because they're all human beings. You didn't go here per se with your question, but you did brush upon it earlier.

In conclusion, I think U2 said it best, "We had the answers right, it was the questions we got wrong." I respect your point-of-view in asking the question, but since you can't really give a correct (or direct) answer to a wrong question, and since I find your question to be wrong in premise (like asking someone who's never been married "Are you still beating your wife?"), I refuse to answer it.

I don't mean to attack you any more than you mean to attack me, but as someone who tries to live out his faith with a sense of harmony and intent to improve his little corner of the world without embarrassing himself or his faith in the process, you can hopefully understand why I strongly resent having my faith called "poisonous" or a "mental illness" which is why I let myself get dragged into these discussions in the first place, and even then I try to keep my tone respectful unless I sense a more hostile (or trolling) tone from a reply. I enjoy such pejoratives as much as you enjoy being told you're "going to burn in Hell for all eternity."

What do charities have anything to do with the worship of a deity?

Did you really mean to ask this, or did you really mean the question(s) asked below it that Purple also asked? Because this is a very basic question that I would think even an atheist would understand.

I would challenge the very premise of the question itself.

For starters, who gets to define "tangible benefit"? Even atheist friends of mine would consider the art found in the Psalms as a "tangible benefit" as they are very poetic, and that artistic contribution as a benefit to society. From there, you can pretty much argue that only a religious person could create that work of art. So you might have an answer there if the artworks of Christians were to be considered as "tangible benefits."

Second, you're demanding that we play by your rules, i.e. "(that does not violate the null hypothesis)", for someone of religion will not place that level of priority on that hypothesis and may even find it as a hinderance towards the definition of "benefit" itself--in other words, who's going to play the game if they don't think the rules are fair?

Third, it discounts the work that has been done with an "infiniite possibilities" theory, and I find this to be incredibly important for a reason I will get into later. But only a Christian could have started the Salvation Army, or else it probably wouldn't be called "The Salvation Army". It might be a similar cause with a different name, but it wouldn't "The Salvation Army," which was begun and continues to be driven by the Christian morality--in short, "could have been" is nowhere near as important, imo, as "was", or in the case of your question, "can" not as important as "does". You cannot nullify what a Christian "does" out of his faith just because an atheist "can" also do for any other reason.

Fourth, the answer would just as likely be the same if it were reversed. Has atheism given any tangible benefit that could not have been done by Christians? And the answer to that at best is, "I don't know." If you're talking tangible, physical things, it's just as possible that a Christian could have invented the microwave or chemotherapy as an atheist. Using Mendel as a precedent, I would say that quantum physics advancements could just as easily come from a religious person as an atheist, since curiosity of the universe falls to all alike. You could argue that it's possible Darwin could have looked at his theories of evolution as God creating something, then tweaking it slightly to make something new, then THAT gets tweaked for something else to result... and Him not allowing the night to fall upon that "day" for what would constitute billions of our years. It didn't happen that way of course, but it COULD have.

Fifth, you cannot strip away the benefits that were given by religious people by claiming it could have been done by an atheist (with an "infinite possibilities" argument), and then condemn them for the atrocities that were committed in the name of religion, while ignoring it could have been committed by atheists (under the same "infinite possibilities" argument). You could make the Crusades a matter of "Hatfields vs. McCoys", and that it was really more about land, and less about the religion. Just as Mao or Stalin could have "easily" been religious, so too could the Crusades just as "easily" been non-religious in nature.... by which I mean, that much death and destruction could have been wrought at the hands of religious and atheists folks alike. Because they're all human beings. You didn't go here per se with your question, but you did brush upon it earlier.

In conclusion, I think U2 said it best, "We had the answers right, it was the questions we got wrong." I respect your point-of-view in asking the question, but since you can't really give a correct (or direct) answer to a wrong question, and since I find your question to be wrong in premise (like asking someone who's never been married "Are you still beating your wife?"), I refuse to answer it.

I don't mean to attack you any more than you mean to attack me, but as someone who tries to live out his faith with a sense of harmony and intent to improve his little corner of the world without embarrassing himself or his faith in the process, you can hopefully understand why I strongly resent having my faith called "poisonous" or a "mental illness" which is why I let myself get dragged into these discussions in the first place, and even then I try to keep my tone respectful unless I sense a more hostile (or trolling) tone from a reply. I enjoy such pejoratives as much as you enjoy being told you're "going to burn in Hell for all eternity."

Evading questions and bending them out of context must be God's true gift to Christians, because I have never seen anybody quite as good at it.

We get to define tangible benefit; the human race.
Tangible benefit: A benefit produced by an investment that is immediately obvious and measurable. Art, while being very pretty to look at, has no obvious and measurable benefit to the human race.

The Salvation Army is a charity. Atheists have made charities. To slap you back with your own, 'infinite possibilities' theory, the one made by atheists could very well be far better than the Salvation Army. The fact of the matter is, no matter what you call it, the Salvation army is still just a charity. That is a goal that is very easily achievable by any organized group of people. You seem to be working under some kind of delusion that Atheists are evil; we can and have started charities. In fact, an Atheist would have more drive to be charitable than a Christian. Christians have to abide by the laws of Jesus and sinning, yes, but everytime they sin, they can just ask Jesus for forgiveness and have the slate wiped clean. Do you think Atheists have any such moral cleaning service?

You're correct. Curiosity of the Universe comes to all alike. The fact is, however, the the religious are biased in their interpretation of how the Universe works. No matter what they see, they will automatically assume it was the work of their God, and won't look at every factor, every cause.
Now, this is where her question comes into play; you are hindered scientifically by your religion. You already assume that you have the answers to how everything happened, so I don't see why you would have any motivation to further look into these things. You would automatically dismiss any evidence that even smelled like it contradicted you. Theoretically, an atheist would make more scientific discoveries than a devout christian simply because they are less inclined to dismiss evidence and facts. However, that is just theory.
But, you are in fact evading her question. I'll answer it for you. "No, there is no tangible benefit that a religious person can produce that a non-religious person cannot."

Like you said earlier, "could have been" is not as important as "was" in your eyes. The fact is, the Crusades were a religiously sanctioned military strike to take back "The Holy Land". Thousands of Muslims died for your God. That is disgusting and inexcusable. Nothing, and I mean nothing was gained from the Crusades. When countries fight over non-religious purposes, there is always something to gain in the mix. Now, that's not to say it's good, or excusable, but at least some form of profit comes out of it. I would go so far as to say the Crusades are the reason that the Eastern world hates us.
Christians have far more motivation to kill for their God than Atheists do to kill for their lack of one. Religion has caused more bloodshed on our planet throughout history than any other factor. Also, you didn't name any benefits that were given exclusively by the religious.

Did you really mean to ask this, or did you really mean the question(s) asked below it that Purple also asked? Because this is a very basic question that I would think even an atheist would understand.

No, I really meant it. What characteristics do religious people possess that allows them to create and maintain charities whereas an atheist cannot?

Oh wait, that's right. There aren't any. Charities and Religion are two completely separate things that happen to coincide occasionally. They are not intertwined.

That would be about as valid as saying that Atheism and bloodsucking are one in the same.

By all means, feel free to reply, but I'm going to do my best to just not reply. Very much like the Crusades, this argument is pointless.

Last edited:
The problem I find with god and science is that people assume to much. They assume that when god creates something, it means he snaps his fingers and it appears. They believe that everything in the bible is meant literally, they believe that the bible explains everything, and they believe god is some type of magician. Some don't stop to think that maybe gods days measure million possibly billions of years longer than our own. They assume that when god creates the heavens and Earth that it's all at once. They assume that god made every organism a second apart. They assume god breathing life into a human and taking the rib of a man and placing it into a woman is what god actually did. Now think about when the bible was written. Of coarse gods gonna tell everyone, "Well I made it so the genetic code......Or Well the single celled organism led to the creation of.........through natural selection therefor causing....." God has never been a magician and has usually if not always carried out his plans with logic. Even in the bible, Was Jesus snapped to earth? No, was born like all other human beings, did he come out big and strong, of coarse not he was just a child. Even in killing his son to save the lives of others presents the law of equal exchange. God isn't a magician. He believes in laws as well. Now this was simply written to open the minds of people with certain ideas of what the bible says or who god is and how he works. Now this is just how I personally feel, but it bugs me when people bring up things in the bible that are quite possibly irrelevant, such as: If god loves us why does he punish us, completely disregarding the scriptures that say The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." or "The one called Devil and Satan . . . is misleading the entire inhabited earth." 1 John 5:19; Revelation 12:9. or Saying that god needed another angel or that someone went to heaven or hell when the bible clearly statesThe body without spirit is dead." (James 2:26) "and For dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19)

Did Mother Teresa really provide no tangible benefit to the world?

No, she didn't help the poor, she built huge ass buildings for them to die in.

Not help them live, not help them die peacefully, just die in.

Lets cut to the chase. You are either agnostic or a total hypocrite because a far as the truth is concerned, you don,t really know if the universe was created or just 'became' on it,s own through a random series of happenstances and apparently you won,t until you pass away and if you are indeed correct, you won,t know then either because there will be no hereafter and you will not have the opportunity to tell everyone that you were right all along. Of course if you do have that opportunity, then you will have been proven wrong.

First I'd like to say.. thank you Mash, that was extremely well worded. I don't think I could have offered a better reply.

Drire: I think it's safe to say that everything you said is pretty much on-point, but from the point of view of somebody that likes tangible benefits, I don't think we solve anything by stating the scientific and logical errors that riddle the bible. Most people are well aware. Even people who think them to be "literal truth" are aware, but fall back on the circular logic of god having ultimate power over reality.

likeasong: Maybe I should explain my stance better. For me personally, my atheism is a result of having studied and appreciating science, and seeing how when religion is left to it's own devices, it will corrupt far more than it heals. What I want to see, ultimately, is an argument that proves otherwise. So if you wish, we can go with that instead of my overly-worded challenge that you refuse. 😉

Let's have a look at my favorites thus far, which you've mentioned as supports for your argument.

Mother Theresa Great, she built hospices for people to suffer and die in. She herself said that suffering brings one closer to jesus. If you look at records of the conditions of the hospices, you can see how poor they were. I've little else to say about her (except for the fact that she accepted money from Charles Keating and the butcherous Duvalier Family).

The Salvation Army. What is there to say about a bunch of bigoted thieves?

They willingly refuse the hire of homosexuals, which is their right to do so as a religious organization. Here's an example of this religious organization's "charitable nature".

Here's something a religious charity can do that a non-religious one cannot: legally avoid taxes. Who is to say how much of their billions actually go toward helping people?

No, I really meant it. What characteristics do religious people possess that allows them to create and maintain charities whereas an atheist cannot?

Oh wait, that's right. There aren't any. Charities and Religion are two completely separate things that happen to coincide occasionally. They are not intertwined.

That would be about as valid as saying that Atheism and bloodsucking are one in the same.

By all means, feel free to reply, but I'm going to do my best to just not reply. Very much like the Crusades, this argument is pointless.

You originaly asked how Christians doing these things would be an act of worship. That's not the same question. Christians believe that they're supposed to help improve the world... to help others who are hurting in this world, in some form or another. This goes back to Jesus' washing his disciples' feet... if our Leader can perform an act of humble service, we are to do so as well. Charity is an act of worship when you believe that it is the Christian thing to do, and you do it as a way of saying, "As God has helped me out, so I will help others", an act of gratitude. In other words, why it's done is what's important.

I'll get to the rest later... kinda busy right now.

We get to define tangible benefit; the human race.
Tangible benefit: A benefit produced by an investment that is immediately obvious and measurable. Art, while being very pretty to look at, has no obvious and measurable benefit to the human race.
Well one could argue that the creation of beauty is an obvious benefit to the human race, as it engages the viewer in abstract and creative thinking. And art is measured to some degree, albeit by very subjective terms. But quite honestly, too, the demand of tangible is admirable, but to outright negate the societal value of the intangible is detrimental.

You seem to be working under some kind of delusion that Atheists are evil; we can and have started charities. In fact, an Atheist would have more drive to be charitable than a Christian. Christians have to abide by the laws of Jesus and sinning, yes, but everytime they sin, they can just ask Jesus for forgiveness and have the slate wiped clean. Do you think Atheists have any such moral cleaning service?
This shows a complete lack of understanding of the Christian concept of "grateful living", that is living of lives as Jesus would want us to. You ever see the annoying, jingoistic "WWJD" wristbands? And no, I don't operate under the assumption that atheists are evil.

You're correct. Curiosity of the Universe comes to all alike. The fact is, however, the the religious are biased in their interpretation of how the Universe works. No matter what they see, they will automatically assume it was the work of their God, and won't look at every factor, every cause
Now, this is where her question comes into play; you are hindered scientifically by your religion. You already assume that you have the answers to how everything happened, so I don't see why you would have any motivation to further look into these things. You would automatically dismiss any evidence that even smelled like it contradicted you. Theoretically, an atheist would make more scientific discoveries than a devout christian simply because they are less inclined to dismiss evidence and facts. However, that is just theory.
Theoretically nothing. The reality is you have scientists whose pursuits are or have been for the chief purpose of disproving the existence of God: most recently the likes of Hawking and Dawkins. They are scientifically hindered by their hatred of religion, and would dismiss any evidence that even smelled like it contradicted them. And really, a Christian scientist could be just as equally driven to make great scientific discoveries to prove the existence of God, or wish to find out how God works. Often not willing to let it go just at miracles, they believe that God's knowledge of the universe is so intricate that He didn't always suspend scientific law, but sometimes used them in ways that man had never before conceived possible. And history is full of Christians in the scientific community. You are wrong to simply assume that atheists are inherently more curious about nature than Christians. History itself disproves that.

But, you are in fact evading her question. I'll answer it for you. "No, there is no tangible benefit that a religious person can produce that a non-religious person cannot."
I'm not evading it, I'm calling it B.S. There's a difference. Just like there are no benefits that an atheist can produce that a religious person cannot.

I would go so far as to say the Crusades are the reason that the Eastern world hates us.
Maybe A reason, but hardly THE reason.

Christians have far more motivation to kill for their God than Atheists do to kill for their lack of one. Religion has caused more bloodshed on our planet throughout history than any other factor. Also, you didn't name any benefits that were given exclusively by the religious.
Gregor Mendel's discovery of cells. He was a Christian. Yes, it could have been discovered by an atheist, but it wasn't. It came from a Christian. In fact, much of the scientific process itself came from Christians.

likeasong: Maybe I should explain my stance better. For me personally, my atheism is a result of having studied and appreciating science, and seeing how when religion is left to it's own devices, it will corrupt far more than it heals. What I want to see, ultimately, is an argument that proves otherwise. So if you wish, we can go with that instead of my overly-worded challenge that you refuse. 😉

Your argument is basically "the fallibility of man disproves the veracity of religion", then, at least in the context of this paragraph. My argument is that humanity itself, left to its own devices will corrupt far more than it heals. Humanity by its very nature is selfish, seeking the service of self above all else. An atheist friend of mine says its due to the survival instinct still within us. Get ours, let the rest get their own. Just about every major religion believes differently. Buddhism, if I understand correctly, asks us to find harmony within our world and dispensing with self. Old Testament Judaism had Levitican law that mandated landowners to not harvest the corners of their fields, and not to collect over a spot a second time, but to leave the corners and what was missed for the poor, not to mention rules regarding the redistribution of wealth and land. Christianity shows Jesus teaching his disciples to be willing to do the work of the servant in showing love for one another, not to mention "love thy enemy." Atheism has no such mandate. The religious teachings are by and large good in nature, the application gets screwed up by humans because humankind is screwed up at its core, and is incapable of sticking close to those principles for very long. Humanity is selfish at its nature, and that's why we revere those who did good in the world, because they give us the hope that we are capable of overcoming the inner selfishness of humanity, of us. That is one reason (by no means the only) reason I believe in God. If humanity is truly at the helm, controlling its own destination, then we are ultimately fucked.

Last edited:
Gregor Mendel's discovery of cells. He was a Christian. Yes, it could have been discovered by an atheist, but it wasn't. It came from a Christian. In fact, much of the scientific process itself came from Christians.

You know, I promised myself I wouldn't reply, but you seem to have misunderstood the context of my statement...but at the same time, you admitted that an Atheist could have discovered these things.

Until you give me proof that it was their belief in Christianity that led to these discoveries, and proof that no Atheist could have possibly discovered such a thing due to their lack of faith, then the above quote holds no meaning to me.

Upon reading my statement, I probably should have worded it better, but I was intending it to be basically the same as what Purple said. Once again, I am going to do my very best to just shut the hell up after this, though. I'm sure the rest of the forums are getting tired of hearing a redubbing of the same circular argument that has existed since the birth of religion. All in all, it really just boils down to what you want to believe in. I believe in Atheism because of what I have observed; nothing. I have never been confronted with even the slightest particle of evidence that a God has ever existed, so the most logical thing to do, is not believe in one.

It would be similar to walking down an unlit street, and believing that there was a dinosaur watching over you from the darkness. If you want to have faith in the dinosaur's existence based on a piece of literature that has been re-written who knows how many times...then sure, go for it. Now, what if we lit up this street with Science? That dinosaur is quickly running out of places to hide. HOWEVER, we will never be able to completely disprove the existence of said dinosaur, if this were truly an analogy about God.

Anyways, take it easy. When this thread takes a turn where it would be productive to continue debating, then I'll pop my head back in.

Last edited:
Here's a turn, let's bring in polytheism... After all, they are the true founding members of religion, actually still known as mysticism and mythology; outside some other concurrent popular polytheist religions. Why did the very early archaic man give these 'supernatural' forces, and yet so precise, power of the universe? Meaning, their was a fatherly deity, but their were lower class deities(outside of the central deity)... That were still observed as 'gods'? Speaking on Greek Mythology, what makes Christianity less precise as a monotheistic religion; than that of Greek gods...

"Moral Valuations" is the key to understanding religion, Theology, and man's interpretation of the current unknown. Moralists in regards to theologians, meta-physicians, and other spiritual scientists and practitioners; gains their power of subliminal influence.

Is the progressive monotheist 'end', an end to the polytheist traditional 'means'? If so, it proves everything that man knows about god and faith is fallacious and erroneous...

Your argument is basically "the fallibility of man disproves the veracity of religion", then, at least in the context of this paragraph. My argument is that humanity itself, left to its own devices will corrupt far more than it heals. Humanity by its very nature is selfish, seeking the service of self above all else. An atheist friend of mine says its due to the survival instinct still within us. Get ours, let the rest get their own. Just about every major religion believes differently. Buddhism, if I understand correctly, asks us to find harmony within our world and dispensing with self. Old Testament Judaism had Levitican law that mandated landowners to not harvest the corners of their fields, and not to collect over a spot a second time, but to leave the corners and what was missed for the poor, not to mention rules regarding the redistribution of wealth and land. Christianity shows Jesus teaching his disciples to be willing to do the work of the servant in showing love for one another, not to mention "love thy enemy." Atheism has no such mandate. The religious teachings are by and large good in nature, the application gets screwed up by humans because humankind is screwed up at its core, and is incapable of sticking close to those principles for very long. Humanity is selfish at its nature, and that's why we revere those who did good in the world, because they give us the hope that we are capable of overcoming the inner selfishness of humanity, of us. That is one reason (by no means the only) reason I believe in God. If humanity is truly at the helm, controlling its own destination, then we are ultimately fucked.

I'd like to point out that you completely ignored the charges I pressed against Mother Teresa and The Salvation Army. You also ignored my explanation of atheism, which shows it does indeed mandate trying to help others. Since I have no god that I can repent to whenever I wrong somebody, I'm accountable for my actions.

I'd also like to point out that religion's teaching of "love for thy neighbor" is reserved only for believers. It's funny that people seem to think otherwise. You can sit here and throw bible passages at me all you wish that "prove" god loves everyone, but god still punishes people simply for not believing in him, which is the default position of the Buddhists you mentioned. They (and my own people the jews, at least ethnically) will burn in hell for not accepting Jesus.

Which leads to my next thought - if you really believe that your religion tells you to love everyone, then I must conclude that you hate me, since you're not tripping over yourself trying to save my soul from eternal damnation. You must really despise me and wish me to burn in hell. Would you care to speculate on that thought? 😉

Did I mention that jesus was a horse thief?

Last edited:
I'd like to point out that you completely ignored the charges I pressed against Mother Teresa and The Salvation Army. You also ignored my explanation of atheism, which shows it does indeed mandate trying to help others. Since I have no god that I can repent to whenever I wrong somebody, I'm accountable for my actions.
Where does atheism show mandate to help others? It is absent of doctrine. As for Mother Teresa and the Salvation Army, even a scoundrel does a good deed once in awhile; it's not eternal redemption, but it's better than nothing, and more importantly, it's what Mother Teresa did with the money that matters. And for all your ridicule of what she did, she is still regarded as a great person by people in this world, both believers and non-believers alike revere what she did. Your claims of the Salvation Army being thieves are unfounded. Bigoted? That's just a bad place to go, since it would seem that believing that something is a sin is "bigotry." I disagree. And we're all accountable for our actions, both bad and good. Just that Christians have found atonement for the bad in the salvation Jesus provides.

I'd also like to point out that religion's teaching of "love for thy neighbor" is reserved only for believers. It's funny that people seem to think otherwise. You can sit here and throw bible passages at me all you wish that "prove" god loves everyone, but god still punishes people simply for not believing in him, which is the default position of the Buddhists you mentioned. They (and my own people the jews, at least ethnically) will burn in hell for not accepting Jesus.
"Reserved"? I don't think so... a direct command? Yes. It's like the sign on a mall bathroom: "Employees Must Wash Their Hands Before Returning To Work." Just because I'm not a mall employee doesn't mean I'm forbidden from washing my hands. So too, even if not a believer, you can love your neighbor. As for Hell and all that, it's the other side of the coin unfortunately. I take absolutely no pleasure in believing that. I'd like to believe that we'll all be able to claim life as one great big Mulligan and get to be with God in the afterworld, but I can't. Some do. But the purpose of Hell isn't foremost punishment: it's total separation from God. But separation from God is the biggest punishment possible, a latent effect.

Which leads to my next thought - if you really believe that your religion tells you to love everyone, then I must conclude that you hate me, since you're not tripping over yourself trying to save my soul from eternal damnation. You must really despise me and wish me to burn in hell. Would you care to speculate on that thought? 😉
I don't hate you at all. Jesus teaches us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. You, however, have stated in no uncertain terms that you do not wish to be saved. You have shown no openness to the message, and in fact have multiple times rejected it before it could even be offered, even showing direct insult to God Himself. Until that changes, any active effort to try and save you is pointless, in fact detrimental, since as you are right now, and attempts to bring you to Jesus would only result in you pushing him further away. The best I can do in the meanwhile is simply show you by my example that Christians, while not perfect, are not all hatemongers who bomb abortion clinics, wash linens for the KKK, and/or shoot illegal immigrants for taking jobs and not being able to speak our language. That in itself will not lead you to Christ, but if you even for a moment stop and think twice about the different ways to live out one's faith, and realize that not all of them are bad, it's a start.

Funny, the owners gave them permission to use the horse. Not theft.

Mash... I understand, we do seem to be going around in circles. We'll probably never be able to convince the other of our point-of-view. I can respect that. All I ask is the same of you, respect for me and what I believe. God may be a fictional character to you, but He's a friend of mine, and I will defend Him, even if He doesn't need it, because that's what friends do.

Last edited:
Agreed.

(Greek Gods know how to have fun as both the characters and audience of unfolding dramas.)

So true, drire.

It shows how Greek Mythology(Master-Morality) is more superior than that of Christianity(Slave-morality).

Last edited:
Where does atheism show mandate to help others? It is absent of doctrine. As for Mother Teresa and the Salvation Army, even a scoundrel does a good deed once in awhile; it's not eternal redemption, but it's better than nothing, and more importantly, it's what Mother Teresa did with the money that matters. And for all your ridicule of what she did, she is still regarded as a great person by people in this world, both believers and non-believers alike revere what she did. Your claims of the Salvation Army being thieves are unfounded. Bigoted? That's just a bad place to go, since it would seem that believing that something is a sin is "bigotry." I disagree. And we're all accountable for our actions, both bad and good. Just that Christians have found atonement for the bad in the salvation Jesus provides.

1. You forget that my atheism is based on support and study of science. I've told you this three times now.
2. If the TSA weren't thieves, then they would be more transparent in their acceptance/use of donation money. Are they hiding something? 😉
3. Again, Mother T built hospices for people to suffer and die in. I cannot see why people think she's a good person.
4. Believing that a sexual preference different from your own is bad, and restricting a person's rights based on that, is bigotry.

In light of this, I must inform you that I cannot respect your beliefs. They violate my personal ethics that require me to be honest and open-minded, which brings me to my next criticism...

I don't hate you at all. Jesus teaches us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. You, however, have stated in no uncertain terms that you do not wish to be saved. You have shown no openness to the message, and in fact have multiple times rejected it before it could even be offered, even showing direct insult to God Himself. Until that changes, any active effort to try and save you is pointless, in fact detrimental, since as you are right now, and attempts to bring you to Jesus would only result in you pushing him further away. The best I can do in the meanwhile is simply show you by my example that Christians, while not perfect, are not all hatemongers who bomb abortion clinics, wash linens for the KKK, and/or shoot illegal immigrants for taking jobs and not being able to speak our language. That in itself will not lead you to Christ, but if you even for a moment stop and think twice about the different ways to live out one's faith, and realize that not all of them are bad, it's a start.

Which "message"? The "different ways to live out one's faith" is the problem. There are so many denominations and conflicting beliefs in place of what should be physical evidence. I am open to considering new ideas (which is what scientific discover thrives on), but I am not open to believing in things without some form of evidence.

Last edited:
Atheists claim that religion is man made, atheism is also man made, so what's your point? Both would then be man made belief systems... Science and atheism? Einstien a Jew, Blaine Pascaul a Christian, Max Planck a Protestant, Guglielmo Marconi a Catholic, then later an Anglican, Werner Heisenberg a Lutheran, most of the great scientists in the history of the world had some type of religious affiliation... __________________
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." ~Victor Stenger ... Oh, Neil Armstrong was a Christian!

What's New

9/21/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a second to say hello to us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back